Also known as impotence, erectile dysfunction is characterized by the inability to obtain and retain a firm erection during sexual intercourse. Erection problems are pretty much universal mainly in men aged above 40. Irrespective, it should not be considered as a natural part of aging merely due to its association with aging. Men below 40 also experience with erectile dysfunction at some point in their lives.
The occurrence of erectile dysfunction might be a sign that something somewhere is wrong as far as your health is concerned. That is why men are usually advised to speak openly about the issue with their general practitioners. The doctor will first conduct several tests to confirm or dismiss the existence of health challenges that could be causing the erectile dysfunction – after which he or she will help you chart the way forward.
A visit to the doctor’s office may see you come out with a prescription drug to cure your erectile dysfunction. Apart from this solution, there are several other things you can do to not only accelerate the healing process but also minimise the effects of erectile dysfunction. They include;
Quit cigarette smoking – the chemicals present in your cigarettes negatively interfere with the blood vessels which translate to weak erections. Constriction of the blood vessels hinders the free flow of blood to the penile chambers. Stopping cigarette smoking goes a long way in alleviating the symptoms of impotence – particularly in the long term.
- Moderate your alcohol consumption – if you have been taking more than bottles of your favorite beer per day, you need to go slow on it. Besides dampening your sexual moods and reducing the intensity of your orgasms, excessive consumption of alcohol also minimizes the flow of blood to the penis and therefore interfering with the quality of erections. You do not necessarily have to quit (if you do not want to). Moderation is the key word when it comes to boozing.
- Eat the right foods – for starters; you need to kiss goodbye to all that junk that has been going to your stomach. Ditch deep-fried foods as well. Start eating a balanced diet from today made up of the right proportions of proteins, carbs, and vitamins. Stock up your fridge with leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. On your list of fruits, do not forget to include watermelons and bananas – they are said to do wonders to erections. Other useful food items include dark chocolates, oysters, tomatoes, grapefruits, walnuts, salmon and other fatty fish, garlic and peppers among many others. Also, drink at least eight glasses of water daily.
- Engage in regular physical exercises – set aside about 30-45 minutes five days a week to exercise. Staying active not only helps you to get rid of that belly fat, but it also boosts your sexual energy, libido and also improves the flow of blood which is good for your erections.
- Get enough rest and sleep – fatigue is one of the leading causes of erectile dysfunction. In as much as you love your work, business, or having fun with friends, always make sure to get sufficient rest. Sleep at least seven hours per night.
- Keep stress at bay – stress, anxiety, and depression have a negative impact on your sexual desire, and this affects your erections. Handle what you can and shake off that which you cannot change or do something about to avoid stress. As far as relationships are concerned, maintain open lines of communication. Deal with problems as they come, as opposed to piling them up. A bad relationship is a recipe for poor erections which brings suffering to your sex life.